Friday

Medieval Blue Mammoth Nalbinding Knitting Needle


Hhhmmmm.....while I was in the living room typing the blog entry about how Dave has been relegated to the couch until he's feeling better, I noticed that he disappeared. When I finished with my post, I went to see where he went, and found him typing away on the other computer (we have three....I know, we're geeks!) listing this latest nalbinding needle.

This needle is 3 1/4 inches long and comes with a velour pouch. Dave hand carved this nalbinding knitting needle out of rare ancient BLUE woolly mammoth ivory from Siberia Russia. The ivory is at least 10,000 years old.

Blue mammoth ivory is usually the outer bark ivory of the tusk and gets its color from leaching elements in the soil and ice where it has beed buried for thousands of years. The different patterns makes each needle a one-of-a- kind. Blue mammoth ivory is the most prized in jewelry making and for making expensive knife handles and pistol grips. It is initialed by Dave, the maker, and is currently up for auction on Ebay.

Medieval Blue Mammoth Nalbinding Knitting Needle